The State Opera of South Australia
The State Opera of South Australia (SOSA) aspires to be the most exciting and innovative opera company in Australia, enhancing South Australia’s reputation nationally and internationally. It was created as a Statutory Authority, under the State Opera of South Australia Act in 1976, to present,
produce, manage and conduct theatrical and operatic performances that attracts a diverse local, national and, potentially, international audience. It is a flagship arts organisation in South Australia and has made a huge contribution to the operatic arts, not just in South Australia, but at a national level as well.
SOSA is renowned as a small, specialist company that presents innovative and exciting work on a grand scale. Its most notable achievements include two complete Wagner Ring Cycles (the Paris Châtelet production in 1998 and the first ever Australian built Ring Cycle in 2004, which is lauded as one of the great Ring Cycles of recent times), the Australian premieres of Jake Heggie’s Dead Man Walking and Moby Dick, the Australian premieres of John Adams’ Nixon in China and El Nino, Flight, Le Grand Macabre, and the Fiery Angel (with the Adelaide Festival), and, most recently, the Philip Glass biographical opera Trilogy (Akhnaten, Einstein on the beach and Satyagraha).
SOSA also has an enviable reputation for investing in, developing and presenting new Australian works in both full scale and workshop form, includingOde to Nonsense, On the Beach, Different Fields, and two works currently in progress – Innocence and Cloudstreet.
SOSA achieves its aims through its six strategic goals:
- To develop and deliver opera of an international artistic standard and nurture the development of leading young opera singers and practitioners in
- To present an innovative, challenging and unique program of traditional and specialist repertoire that extends opera as an art form, excites the
imagination and is accessible to all South Australians.
3. Brand, Marketing and Communications
- To expand its market profile, reach and reputation as an innovator and centre of excellence in opera.
- To build awareness, appreciation and participation in high quality opera experiences through targeted education programs and content for people of
5. Financial & Risk Management
- To maintain and secure and sustainable financial position utilising effective financial and risk management practices
6. Organisation & Culture
- To reflect its values and best practice in governance and management throughout the company
The current CEO & Artistic Director of SOSA is Timothy Sexton.